Curious to know what is Midori Sour? Here is the complete information of this exclusive drink with the unique taste and color but before moving ahead let’s gain an idea of the story behind the name.
The word Midori in the Midori Sour is the Japanese name that means green. Midori Sour drink has a beautiful green color that is being used to prepare many famous cocktails.
It is a sweet, bright green-colored drink with the great flavor of muskmelon that gives enhancing taste when mixed with other flavors.
The drink was manufactured in Japan, the United States, Mexico, and France.
The drink with lower alcohol content than other cocktails, contain around 20-21% alcohol in it.
The drink is sweet in taste and is therefore not usually taken straight. The drink is a primary ingredient of the famous Japanese cocktail, Japanese slipper that is prepared using Midori, Cointreau, and Lemon Juice. Its sweet taste is often balanced by adding other sour drinks into it. To make its flavor similar to Mountain Dew it is often mixed with vodka and 7 up.
Moving towards the date of its manufacturing, the drink was launched by Suntory at Studio 54 in New York City in the year 1978. Later in 1983, the drink was distributed in 20 different countries.
In the year 2013, the manufacturer of the drink reduces its sugar content and introduced it in the redesigned label and frosted glass bottle.
What is the Taste of Midori?
The drink tastes similar to the sweet melon but it is difficult to guess the type of melon as it is prepared using two different types of melon mentioned below:
Yubair King Melon: It is the most expensive fruit that is produced by the cross between two cantaloupes. The fruit is grown near Yubari city in Japan and is famous for its juicy and sweet taste with the orange flesh.
Musk Melon: Another major ingredient that is used to prepare the drink is grown in the Aichi and Shizuoka region of Japan. It is again a juicy fruit with a sweet taste. It has green flesh that gives the drink an attractive green color.
How to Make a Midori Sour?
Are you ready to try this mouth-watering drink and want to learn how to make Midori Sour?
Here is the list of Midori Sour ingredients, gather all and stimulate your taste buds like never before.
Ingredients for Preparing Midori Sour Drink
- Midori Melon Liqueur- 1 ½ ounce
- Sweet and Sour Mix- 2 ounces
- Lime Juice- 1 ½ ounce
- Lime Soda- 1 dash
- Maraschino Cherry: Garnished
Midori Sour Recipe
- Gather all the ingredients and pour them in the cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake it vigorously for 5-10 minutes
- Strain the mixture in a highball glass and garnish the end drink with a cherry.
*To enhance the drink taste you can add 1-ounce vodka into it.
Nutritional Information of Midori Sour
After knowing what’s in a Midori Sour, here is the information about nutrition in the drink.
The final drink has 221 Kcal with 38 g Carbohydrates, 1 g Protein, 17 mg Sodium, 37 g Sugar.
Midori Sour Alcohol Content
Considering the alcohol by volume the drink contains 20-21% ABV and thus goes great for enhancing the mood in the parties and eve.
Apart from the Midori Sour Cocktail, Midori is used to prepare many different types of cocktail that are commonly known as Midori liqueur. The cocktails prepared using Midori Sour are green in color with the featured melon liqueur.
Some of the famous cocktails prepared using this liqueur is:
- Japanese Slipper
The light alcoholic cocktail with fruity taste can be prepared using a simple recipe.
The drink offers the sweet taste of melon and its perfect combination with Cointreau gives the drink the perfect hint of orange.
Since all the ingredients used to prepare the drink are mixed in an equal amount and therefore it is not difficult to remember the recipe.
So get ready for your beach party with the alluring green colored and sweet taste perfect cocktail drink.
- Midori:1 ounce
- Cointreau: 1 ounce
- Lemon Juice: 1 ounce
- Honey Dew Melon: Garnished
- Mix all the ingredients in the cocktail shaker filled with ice.
- Shake the mixture and strain the mixture into the chilled glass.
- Garnish the drink with the honeydew melon or cherry.
- Berry Bliss
Berry Bliss prepared using Midori is a spirited, flavorful and fruity drink that goes best for the summer parties. The drink is green in color and enhances the festive mood.
Midori, when added with another fruity flavor, stimulates the palate and improves the mood. Here is the list of ingredients and simple recipes used to prepare the drink.
- Midori Melon Vodka: 1 ½ part
- Vanilla Vodka: 1 part
- Skyy Raspberry Infusions Vodka: ½ part
- Pineapple Juice: 1/8 part
- Soda water: 1/8 part
- Take a punch bowl and fill it halfway with ice.
- Add all the ingredients and mix them well.
- Serve it in punch cup and do not forget to garnish it with strawberry slices.
- Halloween Harvest Punch
The great party punch that goes best for the Halloween celebration is the drink created by the mixologist Victoria D’Amato-Moran. With the perfect taste of apple, cranberry, and melon the drink has a delicious taste that is appealing for everyone at the party.
- Midori: 10 ounces
- Dark rum: 10 ounces
- Light rum: 10 ounces
- Cranberry Juice: 20 ounces
- Apple Juice: 10 ounces
- Lemon: 1
- Simple Syrup: 10 ounces
- Apple Slice: Garnished
- Blueberries: Garnished
- Melon Balls: Garnished
- Pour Rums, Midori, Juices, and simple syrup into a punch bowl.
- Mix it well and garnish the final drink with apple slices. Blueberries, and melon balls.
- Melon Ball Drop
Looking for the fun drink for your New Year Eve here is the fruity taste cocktail, Melon Ball Drop. The perfect green colored drink that pairs well with the citrus vodka and highlighted elderflower liqueur gives the drink a great and delicious taste.
- Midori: 2 ounces
- Citrus vodka: 1 ounce
- Elderflower Liqueur: ½ ounce
- Lemon: ½
- Sugar: Garnished
- Melon ball: Garnished
- Rim a cocktail glass with sugar with a piece of lemon.
- Take a cocktail shaker and fill it with ice, citrus vodka, elderflower liqueur, and lemon juice.
- Shake well.
- Strain the prepared drink into the glass and garnish its top with the melon ball.
- Melon Splash
The combo of Whiskey and Midori has a delightful, light flavor that goes perfect for the summer season. The recipe is simple that is prepared by mixing bourbon and sweet melon liqueur.
- Whiskey: 1 ½ ounce
- Midori: 1 ounce
- Lemon Lime Soda: 2 ounces
- Lime Slice: Garnished
- Take an old-fashioned glass and fill it with ice.
- Pour whiskey and melon liqueur.
- Stir the mixture well and top it with lemon-lime soda and garnish with a slice of lime.
This fruity drink with the green color attracts many drinkers towards it, especially during the hot summer season. The drink is, therefore, is commonly seen in the beach parties.
Prepare any of the cocktails using Midori and share your experience in the comment box below.