Eggnog alcohol the drink that arises so many questions in the mind of the people actually provide the feeling of squeamishness. The drink is laden with a creamy mixture that most people crave for during their holidays and Christmas.
This famous drink dates to the 18th century and it is believed that George Washington was a big fan of it. It is believed that his drink was prepared using a ton of alcohol for eggnog like rye whiskey, sherry, rum, etc. Also, he uses to include cream, milk, sugar, and a ton of eggs in the drink that offer a delicious taste to the drink.
Is Eggnog Alcoholic?
Considering the general drink, eggnog does contain alcohol in it, but you can find some stuff in the market and stores that provide alcohol-free nogs as well. Since there are many different available drinks and yes there is some homemade eggnog with alcohol as well as without alcohol so there are chances that you can get a special eggnog non-alcoholic drink based on your preference and taste.
What Alcohol Goes in Eggnog?
Enjoying the flavor and taste of eggnog alcohol and wondering what alcohol is in eggnog?
Although there are varieties of alcoholic drinks that are used to prepare the drink, from the past time, many people enjoy the flavor of wine in it. The best alcohol in eggnog found commonly these days are Cognac and Bourbon. It adds great flavor and taste to the drink thus making people fall for it.
Dig Deeper to Know What is Eggnog Made of?
As the name suggests, the traditional eggnog with alcohol contains raw eggs in the drink. But there are some countries like the USA that restricts the use of raw eggs due to health concerns.
Considering the typical ingredient of eggnog alcohol, the list is given below:
- 8 cups of whole milk
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1.5 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 2 1/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and other spices
The ingredients used to prepare eggnog alcohol are enlisted above. Above all the major ingredient of the drink is milk.
Talking about the other ingredient, alcohol, it is added to the drink to make it alcoholic. Many people wonder what alcohol goes best in eggnog, especially when they are preparing the drink at home. Well, the list is not too long when it comes to taste. Most of the alcohol eggnog consist of the following beverages:
- Aged rum
- Irish Whiskey
- Blended Scotch Whiskey
It is best to pick the reasonable, dark, amber-colored spirits with a higher proof. The higher alcoholic content in the drink will impart the neutralizing effect and reduces the sweetness of the eggnog.
Some of the additional ingredients that make the drink livelier and more mouth-watering are Cordials (ginger liqueur, peppermint schnapps, chocolate liqueur); Spices (nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, vanilla extract); Other goodies (Coffee, light brown sugar, chocolate syrup, maple syrup)
Preparing the Eggnog Alcohol: Eggnog Alcohol Recipe
For preparing the delicious drink it is essential to take some precautions, especially when you are making it for the first time. Many among you might think of adding alcohol and then eggnog until you get the flavor of your choice. Well, that’ s not a good idea. Since there is a great difference in the two types of drink (eggnog and alcohol) it may lead to the curdling.
The best way to prepare the drink is to add nog followed by the alcoholic drink of your choice and stirring the mixture
Follow the step by step guide to know the eggnog recipe alcohol:
- Take a saucepan and whisk eggs, sugar, and salt together
- Now add 4 cups of milk slowly and cook the mixture at low flame for 30 minutes. Do not let the mixture to boil and transfer the mixture once the temperature reaches to 165-degree Fahrenheit
- Stir the mixture in the vanilla, spices and rest of the 4 cups of milk.
- Keep the bowl on the ice bath and stir until it cools down.
- Transfer it to the refrigerator to chill.
- Add alcoholic drink
- Before serving, beat the whipping cream to get the soft peak form
- Whisk the cream in the rest of the drink and garnish it with additional nutmeg to enhance flavor.
*Avoiding the addition of alcohol in the above recipe will prepare the eggnog without alcohol. Kids enjoy this drink as much as an adult and the drink is the most suitable option to make holidays special.
Know Different Eggnog Drinks Alcohol Recipes
1. O.F.T.D Rum Flip Eggnog Alcohol
- 5 ounces Plantation O.F.T.D. Overproof Rum
- 5 ounces Demerara Syrup (a syrup prepared using sugar and water in the ratio of 2:1)
- 25 ounces cold brew coffee
- Whole Egg
- Mix all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake it vigorously without ice for 10 seconds.
- Add ice and now shake the mixture for 10 more seconds.
- Double strain the drink into the cocktail coupe.
- Garnish nutmeg and cinnamon.
2. Miracle On Spring Street Eggnog
- 5 ounce of Ancho Reyes Verde
- 1-ounce Amontillado Sherry
- 5-ounce simple syrup
- 2-ounces of whole milk
- 1 ounce of heavy cream
- Egg white
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Shaved nutmeg
- Pinch of green matcha powder
Direction to prepare
- Shake the mixture and then add ice and strain.
- Shake it again.
- Garnish the top with the shaved green matcha powder.
3. Captain Burrows Eggnog with Rye Whiskey
- 4 eggs
- 16-ounce milk
- 8-ounce heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon nutmeg
- 4-ounces Maine Maple Syrup
- 3-ounce Stroudwater Rye Whiskey
- 5-ounces Maine Craft Distilling Ration Rum
- 1-ounce Creme De Cacao
- 1-ounce PX Sherry
- Collect egg white and whisk it with 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a separate bowl mix whisk egg yolk with all other ingredients
- Stir the mixture and serve it with the freshly grated nutmeg.
4. North Pole Nog With Spiced Rum
- 6-ounce small-batch eggnog
- 1-ounce spiced rum
- 2-ounce bourbon
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon and Cinnamon stick
- Mix eggnog, spiced rum, and bourbon
- Stir the mixture well
- Garnish the top layer with ground cinnamon and cinnamon stick
5. Uncle Dave’s Nog With Bourbon
- 5 portion Maker’s Mark Bourbon
- 5 portion of almond milk
- 5 portion of aged rum
- 75 portion of maple syrup
- 25 portion of pimento dram
- 25 portion of walnut liqueur
- 3 dashes of Angostura bitters
- Mix all the ingredients and shake and chill the drink with ice.
- Grate the mixture with fresh cinnamon and nutmeg over the drink.
- Garnish the drink with the candied walnut
6. Margo Flips Eggnog With Scotch Whiskey
- 2 parts of Auchentoshan Three Wood Single Malt Scotch Whisky
- 1 part of chocolate stout
- 1 egg
- 4 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters
- 5 part of brown sugar cayenne syrup (mix 2 cups light brown sugar, 1 cup of water, and 2 tsp cayenne pepper. Heat the mixture in low flame until it boils. Cool it and store it in the refrigerator.
- Mix whiskey, whole egg, chocolate stout, Peychaud’s Bitters, and brown sugar cayenne syrup in the cocktail shaker.
- Shake the mixture until it becomes frothy
- Strain the drink into the footed rock glass and add some fresh ice.
- Garnish it with nutmeg
7. Waiting Up For Santa Eggnog With Jamaican Rum
- 5-ounce Jamaican Rum
- 5 ounces Nocello Walnut Liqueur
- 5 ounces espresso
- 5 ounces simple syrup
- 1-ounce heavy cream
- 1 whole egg
- Mix all the ingredients and shake them well without ice for 30 seconds.
- Add ice and shake the mixture again
- Strain the drink in the cocktail glass and garnish with cinnamon dust.
8. Love & Salt Eggnog with Lairds Applejack
- 16 eggs
- 128 ounces of light cream
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 64 ounces of Lairds Applejack
- Granulated sugar 75 lb
- Beat the yolk until it turns light
- Start adding sugar slowly to mix it well.
- Add Applejack and light cream one by one.
- Mix all the above ingredients
- In another bowl take white cream and whip the mixture until a white peak is formed.
- Fold the beaten egg white into yolk mixture and allow the mixture to stand for 24 hours in a sealed glass container in the refrigerator.
9. Flatiron Flip Eggnog With Bourbon
- 25 ounces Old Forester bourbon
- 75 ounces Art in the Age (ginger) Snap liqueur
- 75 ounces honey
- 75 ounces cream
- 1 egg yolk
- grated chocolate
- Mix all ingredients except grated chocolate, pecan, and nutmeg in the shaker. Add 2 to 3 ice cubes. Remove ice cubes and shake it dry. Strain the drink into the coupe glass. Garnish it with grated chocolate, pecan, and nutmeg.
10. Eggnog a la Branca With Spiced Rum
- 2 whole eggs
- 3 ounces sugar
- 5 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces whole milk
- 4 ounces heavy cream
- 2 ounces spiced rum
- 5 ounces pisco
- 75 ounces Fernet Branca
- Beat the eggs in a home blender for 30 seconds and add sugar.
- Allow the mixture to rest
- Chill the drink before serving.
- Garnish it with fresh ground nutmeg.
11. Dark and Stormy Spiced Eggnog Float With Bourbon
- 5 ounces Bailey’s
- 1-ounce Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 1-ounce eggnog
- 1 egg white
- Nutmeg and cinnamon
- Crushed ice
- Mix all the ingredients and shake the mixture with the crushed ice
- Strain the mixture into the wine glass
- Garnish it with the grated nutmeg and cinnamon.
The blog above might have aware of what kind of alcohol goes in eggnog and helps you to learn to prepare eggnog with alcohol recipes.
Having your recipe in mind with eggnog and alcohol, feel free to share it with us in the comment box below!